Firefly and PC GAMESS-related discussion club

Learn how to ask questions correctly  

We are NATO-free zone

Re^7: Can't figure out how to find emission spectra of Benzene...

Siddheshwar Chopra
sidhusai@gmail.com

Dear Pavlo,
I really appreciate all your help. Your guidance has helped me a lot always.
Sir, regarding you replies:
1) regarding state tracking... do you mean to say if i m studying singlet to singlet transition, then it is not necessary??
In general can I take it as a rule of thumb to switch it on always?? Like you did..
I just need to add - sign to activate it..and then i dont need to bother about anything else right??
2) I understood about using optimized coords. Of S0 for S1*.. thnx for that..
But how did you know B3U is first excited state? I checked my o/p file with gausssum.I couldn't get that information.. i could only find A and B..
3) Regarding PCM... i checked 8.0.x manual.. but couldnt find the list of solvents.. :-(
4) Pardon me about the last one... I am unsure about it as I read in this forum that active space is created.. yes it is not dft..it is MCSCF/XMCQDPT2...
I just wish that the procedure you have told me will be the best suited for my needs.. :-)
Pavlo following the same procedure, I can get singlet to either singlet or triplet transitions/emission spectra..right? But then for downward transitions, the gnd state multiplicity will change..

Kind Regards,

On Mon Jun 16 '14 9:18pm, Pavlo Solntsev wrote
----------------------------------------------
>On Mon Jun 16 '14 11:00am, Siddheshwar Chopra wrote
>---------------------------------------------------
>>Dear Pavlo,
>>Sorry for replying late. I just went through all the files you had provided. I am really grateful to you for taking out time to make us understand this so well. I am really thankful to you.
>>Pavlo I checked all the files and would be glad if you could answer some basic questions:

>>1) The emission spectra is obtained from the file "pp_opt_s1_tddft.out"?
>Yes

>>2) From S1*--> S1... How to use and understand state tracking? I actually don't understand what I am supposed to do with it. I just know how to turn it on. What happens if I switch it off?

>In example i gave you, state tracking probably doesn't matter. However, if you want to relax say state #3 then it may be swapped with other state. In that case state tracking should be turned on. See $TDDFT ISTATE $END description.

>>3) You said "1st excited state is B3U"...and used the same optimized coordinates of S0 while optimizing the S1*. Is it right?
>
>Of course it better to start from good coordinates for excited state optimization. The best chose is ground state geometry.

>> What should I do with the "1st excited state is B3U"?
>Nothing. It is just first excited state of porphyrin.

>>This step is very important for understanding. By using the optimized coords. of S0 in optimizing S1*, do you mean that the coordinates of atoms don't change in excited state?
>No. Any geometry optimization by definition changes atomic coordinates.

>>4) You have used PCM calculations all throughout.. They don't seem time consuming. What all solvents I could use for the same? Do I have acetonitrile available?

>Did you check manual? There are two manual available. Th new one and old. Check both of them. CH3CN is available.
>
>
>>Pavlo until your help, I was in this notion that I should get the most probable orbitals from UV-Vis. calculations and then optimize them for S1 and then obtain the emission spectra. But you haven't talked about most probable orbitals anywhere... Where do I apply the concept I just mentioned then?

>Sorry, by i don't understand what you are trying to say within DFT level of theory.
>
>
>Hope this helps.

>Pavel.
>
>
>
>>Kind Regards,
>>
>>
>>
>>On Thu Jun 12 '14 10:18am, Siddheshwar Chopra wrote
>>---------------------------------------------------
>>>Dear Pavel,
>>>Your suggestions have always been valuable to me. I will start working on your files and will let you know in case I need your help.

>>>Kind Regards,

>>>On Wed Jun 11 '14 4:17pm, Pavlo Solntsev wrote
>>>----------------------------------------------
>>>>I attached example how to do Luminescence calculation for porphyrin molecule. For more detailed information please, check manual AND this forum.

>>>>Salvation model has not been programmed for TDDFT+gradient. Therefore, optimization of the excited state was done without solvent correction. However, this correction was included into spectra calculation.

>>>>Very often geometry optimization of the excited state brakes a true molecular symmetry. Keep this in mind.

>>>>For more complex systems state of interest may be different, not S1. It is especially true if you have a donor group in your molecule and thus HOMO....HOMO-x belong to the donor, but you are looking for emission within porphyrin core. In such case you need identify the state of interest based on TDDFT(ground state) and knowledge.

>>>>Good luck.

>>>>Pavel.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>On Tue Jun 10 '14 10:16pm, Siddheshwar Chopra wrote
>>>>---------------------------------------------------
>>>>>Dear Alex,
>>>>>I searched a lot on this forum regarding the same. What you told is right and I know these too. But I want to step by step how to optimize �the S1? say for �benzene.
>>>>>And then how should I determine S0--> S1 (optimized)?
>>>>>Please help me stepwise. Any i/p files would be of great help.. I have noted from TDDFT calc of benzene that orbitals 17-24 are most dominant ones. How do I proceed next?

>>>>>Kind Regards,

>>>>>n Tue Jun 10 '14 7:43pm, Alex Granovsky wrote
>>>>>----------------------------------------------
>>>>>>Hello,

>>>>>>for emission spectra you need to optimize S1 geometry and then compute
>>>>>>vertical transition from S0 to S1 at optimized geometry of S1.

>>>>>>Kind regards,
>>>>>>Alex Granovsky
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>On Sat Jun 7 '14 9:10pm, Siddheshwar Chopra wrote
>>>>>>-------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>Dear Firefly users,
>>>>>>>I need some real help in determining the emission spectra (S1--->SO*) of benzene.
>>>>>>>I have understood till optimizing the ground state and then obtaining the vertical transition from SO--->S1*...
>>>>>>>Please help me now what I should do next? Any i/p files would be welcomed.

>>>>>>>Kind Regards,

[ Previous ] [ Next ] [ Index ]           Tue Jun 17 '14 1:25pm
[ Reply ] [ Edit ] [ Delete ]           This message read 627 times