Firefly and PC GAMESS-related discussion club

Learn how to ask questions correctly

Re^2: Some information on what to expect (and what not to expect) in the Firefly version 8.0.0

Alex Granovsky
gran@classic.chem.msu.su

Hi Sanya,

you are using beta version of Firefly v. 8.0.0. Current beta versions do not support all the features I have enlisted in my post and so, unfortunately, you will not be able to perform DFT(D) and COSMO calculations with beta.

As to HFX, use:

$dft HFX=value $end

In addition, if one requests computation of quadrupole moments as the part of Firefly's job, this will turn on computation of electronic spatial extent.

Kind regards,
Alex

On Sat Jul 23 '11 0:19am, sanya wrote
-------------------------------------
>Great, thank you, Alex!

>I've already tried some of the features in the beta version. But some other features are new for me. For example, how can I invoke DFT(D), COSMO and other variants of PCM or change HFX?

>On Fri Jul 22 '11 4:23pm, Alex Granovsky wrote
>----------------------------------------------
>>Dear Firefly users,

>>Hope some of you could find the information below useful.

>>Changes in the future Firefly v. 8.0.0 as compared with current Firefly version 7.1.G can be divided into several groups.

>>The first group is the system-wide changes:
>>- Improved (sometimes significantly) performance of threaded code with all currently known issues fixed
>>- Improved support of Lustre and other non-local filesystems with all currently known compatibility issues resolved
>>- Improved memory management which is capable to allocate somewhat more memory and to handle it by a more intelligent manner
>>- Initial support of AVX-enabled processors
>>- Support of customized and external 2e-integral evaluation modules implemented as shared/dynamic libraries which follow specially designed flexible and extensible interface.

>>Next, changes to HF and DFT code:
>>- Improved DIIS code with lots of additional modes of operation, which are configurable using dedicated input options
>>- Better parallel scalability of DFT code due to faster DIIS
>>- Improved accuracy of DFT quadratures
>>- New HFX parameter allows users to modify the fraction of exact HF exchange used in hybrid functionals (helpful for TDDFT calculations of Rydberg and charge-transfer states)
>>- DFT(D) empirical dispersion correction

>>Changes to CASSCF and QDPT code:
>>- New high-performance CASCI/CASSCF code with better parallel scalability and efficiency
>>- Multiple improvements and extensions in MCQDPT and XMCQDPT code
>>- Improved conical intersection location code now capable to deal with arbitrary averaging of states in SA-CASSCF

>>Changes to MP2 code:
>>- More intelligent handling of I/O errors running in parallel

>>Changes to MP4/CUDA code:
>>- Changes for Fermi and CUDA 4.0

>>Other changes:
>>- Initial steps for COSMO and variants of PCM other than DPCM
>>- More intelligent detection of hydrogen bonds
>>- support of CUDA under Linux for MP4 calculations
>>- Multiple bugfixes ans minor improvements

>>Some other changes :)

>>What not to expect:
>>- TDDFT analytic gradients