Firefly and PC GAMESS-related discussion club

Learn how to ask questions correctly  

We are NATO-free zone

Re^5: Limit on number of cores

Alex Granovsky
gran@classic.chem.msu.su

Dear Vyacheslav,

then, most likely, this is a limitation of D&D interface!

Regards,
Alex

>These are my answers on your questions:

>1) My computer has four 12-core processors: AMD Opteron Processor 6180 SE 2.50 GHz (processor is not so good). Number of physical and logical cores is equal. The amount of RAM is 64 Gb but now OS see 32 Gb only (limitation of Server Standard).

>2) At last time I use D&D interface (for 30 consecutive tasks) which works on other my PCs under Server 2008 Standard very well and now works on 48-core machine up to 20 cores also.
>
>As for FF version, it is Firefly (PC GAMESS) version 7.1.H, build number 5821* // *  Compiled on  Wednesday, 01-09-2010, 11:28:48  (this is version which you corrected for me once).
>I tried to run the regular version from download page (under Win7 Pro) but faced with some problems and then decided to use version mentioned above which I use on Intel 8-cores PCs.

>Unfortunately, I do not remember what MPI I've included, it was for a long time. I think I did not use MS-MPI. Possibly I used mpibind.nt-mpich-smp.dll and renamed it in mpibind.dll. Probably I have renamed pcgp2psm.dll in pcgp2p.dll. If it is necessary I can attach mpibind.dll file and any other of those  that stand in FF on the my "problematic" computer.  

>3) After FF running with more than 20 cores I do not get any messages - Firefly simply is not started.

>   Vyacheslav
>
>
>*********************************************************************
>On Fri Feb 10 '12 3:36pm, Alex Granovsky wrote
>----------------------------------------------
>>Hi,

>>1. How much physical and logical cores has the system on which
>>you are trying to run Firefly? What are the processors? The amount of RAM?
>>2. How are you running Firefly in parallel? Are you using multithreading?
>>Alternatively, if you are running Firefly in its standard MPI mode,
>>what is the MPI implementation? MPI binding dll you are using?
>>3. What is the exact error message you are getting?

>>Regards,
>>Alex Granovsky
>>
>>
>>>Here are three facts: 1) under Win 7 Pro or Server Standard I run simultaneously two FF tasks with 20 cores everyone without problems but not one task with 21 cores;  2) 21 copies and more of Far manager runs without problems also;  3) I can run simultaneously two task of Aimall program, each of them on 21 cores and more.

>>>For this reason I assume that problem is in specificity of FF work. 21 cores on task are 21 copies of FF which run simultaneously. Probably for OS it is 21 users which want simultaneously to get access over network to FF?
>>>  
>>>Vyacheslav

>>>**************************************************************************
>>>On Fri Feb 10 '12 9:00am, Alex Granovsky wrote
>>>----------------------------------------------
>>>>Hi,

>>>>there is no limit on the number of cores in Firefly.

>>>>Could you please be a bit more specific? Do you mean the limitations
>>>>of the OS? You should upgrade to the Server 2008 Enterprise or use
>>>>Linux if so (note it is not allowed to discuss cracking etc... on this forum).
>>>>Alternatively, if you encounter some unexpected limitations running
>>>>Firefly, please provide more information. E.g., there do exist
>>>>some limitations in nt-mpich-smp implementation of MPI so you may
>>>>need to increase the size of the shared memory area e.g.:

>>>>

set MPI_GLOBMEMSIZE=536870912

>>>>Kind regards,
>>>>Alex Granovsky

>>>>On Thu Feb 9 '12 5:51pm, Vyacheslav wrote
>>>>-----------------------------------------
>>>>>At FF run under Win7 Pro and Server 2008 Standard the number of cores is limited by 20 ones. Is it possible to bypass somehow this restriction without OS upgrading (and without cracking which often apply in similar cases :-) )?
>>>>>Thanks!

[ Previous ] [ Next ] [ Index ]           Fri Feb 10 '12 6:00pm
[ Reply ] [ Edit ] [ Delete ]           This message read 677 times