PC GAMESS/Firefly-related discussion club

Learn how to ask questions correctly

Re^2: WinXP AHCI NCQ enabled early results

Sergey
qcplab@gmail.com

Dear Alex,

no, the results are obtained as described:

1) there is a switch SATA(Native IDE) / ACHI / RAID in BIOS of MOBO I use (p5q-e pro)
2) By choosing SATA, the IDE emulation is enabled so IDE driver is used by Windows
3) By choosing ACHI, another device is found (and appropriate driver installed) by Windows, which support ACHI extensions.

So yes, you are right, these are two different drivers, first doesn't have NCQ support, and the second includes such the option.

Question: how do I disable NCQ support for the second one? Is it 'Tagging/Queques Enable/Disable option is SCSI applet in Device Manager? So I just check 'do not use' or smth. like that?

Thank you!

On Thu Nov 26 '09 10:05am, Alex Granovsky wrote
-----------------------------------------------
>Hi Sergey,

>are these results obtained for the same driver using
>different settings (i.e., NCQ enabled/disabled)?
>Or, the drivers are different as well? In the latter cases,
>it would be difficult to compare results as driver's quality
>can vary seriously affecting I/O performance...

>regards,
>Alex
>
>
>On Wed Nov 25 '09 11:27pm, Sergey wrote
>---------------------------------------
>>Hi all,

>>as promised, I keep you informed abouth the experiment.

>>It seems this option makes little to no at all difference in WinXP in 1 core per 1 disk setup BUT,

>>for the 2 core per 1 disk design moderate sized jobs (I tested ~ 800 basis functions MP2 mainly) the result is pretty significant: especially with increased number of buffers to 8 or even 16 if memory allows.

>>Most likely this is due to some ordering occurs in the tagged queues of SCSI controller (*remember, I do NOT yous SAS or real SCSI, but usual budget solutions e.g. SATA II drives, yet they are identified as SCSI after proer installation of AHCI / RAID drivers.

>>

[ Previous ] [ Next ] [ Index ]           Sat Nov 28 '09 0:03am
[ Reply ] [ Edit ] [ Delete ]           This message read 1041 times