Firefly and PC GAMESS-related discussion club

Learn how to ask questions correctly

Re^6: CIS optimization state energy moves unreasonably

Jim Kress
jimkress_35@kressworks.com

NBOs and NOs are not the same.  In addition, the NBO analysis will specifically decomopose the NBO orbitals according to nuclear center, bonding type, and AO contribution.

Look here for more info:

http://www.chem.wisc.edu/~nbo5/

Jim

On Thu Jul 29 '10 4:49am, Jonas Baltrusaitis wrote
--------------------------------------------------
>I got similar suggestion from Sanya only he suggested natural orbitals of interest.

>Maybe I am not interpreting right: all I need is emission spectrum. So I do not have particular bonds or orbitals in mind, I only need to optimize to certain excited state or averaged states to get decent representation of fluorescence spectra. Does that change anything or I still have to select bond or orbital wise?

>Also, would that make these calculations state specific or state average?

>Jonas
>
>
>On Wed Jul 28 '10 6:35pm, Jim Kress wrote
>-----------------------------------------
>>Try doing a NBO analysis.  Then select your active space from the set of NBOs (or even NLMOs) that correspond to the atoms and/or bonds of primary concern to you.

>>This is how I usually set-up my MCSCF/ CASSCF calculations.

>>Jim

>>On Wed Jul 28 '10 3:15am, sanya wrote
>>-------------------------------------
>>>On Tue Jul 27 '10 4:16pm, Jonas Baltrusaitis wrote
>>>--------------------------------------------------
>>>>From what I've read in the literature CASSCF should be a good thing for my molecules since it can deal with multireference character and bond breaking. I am a bit hesitant since I am not sure how to select the active space. Would TDDFT do in selecting which orbitals and electrons to correlate? Is there a rule of thumb?

>>>DFT (as well as HF) orbitals are not very good as starting MOs. Natural orbitals are better. Unfortunately, there is no rule of thumb in selecting the active space, just a common sense and a chemical insight :) In fact, it is individual for each molecular system.

[ Previous ] [ Next ] [ Index ]           Sat Jul 31 '10 1:56am
[ Reply ] [ Edit ] [ Delete ]           This message read 720 times